History

Rebecq, a rural village with a rich past ...

The first mention of the village of Rebecq in history was in the early 9th century, on 9 July 877 to be precise, the date appearing on a diploma signed by Charles the Bald.

However, the most significant figures in the village’s history are undoubtedly the Lords of Trazegnies and Enghein, who held their feudal court here in the 11th century. For a long time, the Principality of Rebecq was part of the Brabant landholdings of the Lords of Enghein.

Moulin - RebecqIn the 17th century, ownership of the Principality of Rebecq passed to the Arenberg family, including the mills, the jewel of the area.

In 1824, the village of Rognon merged with its larger, more populated and wealthier neighbour Rebecq. Rebecq then became Rebecq-Rognon.

In the 19th century, the Solvay family made its mark on the village’s history. In particular Ernest Solvay, who invented an ammoniac process used to produce industrial sodium carbonate, a method that came to be known as the Solvay process. Together with his brother Alfred, Ernest Solvay laid the foundations of a future industrial chemicals empire, the Solvay company. The former home of the Solvay brothers in Rebecq is still standing.

In 1977, a merger of villages resulted in the creation of the entity of Rebecq, encompassing the villages of Quenast, Bierghes, Rebecq-Rognon and part of Saintes.